Demonstration Site Network
On the ground examples of ecologically enhanced shoreline restoration projects will give shoreline engineers, property owners and other decision makers information on the successes and shortcomings of these innovative or non-traditional restoration and engineering techniques.
The Demonstration Site Network Advisory Committee was formed in winter 2012 to create a means to select examples and disseminate this information.
Using a simple assessment form and rating system, the team has identified shoreline projects representing the best management practices for protecting the ecology of the Hudson River while providing adequate protection through engineering, and increasing adaptability for the challenges of climate change.
The Coxsackie Boat Launch is one example. It was partially funded by the Project. The pictures below depict stages of the restoration project beginning at the left, and a detailed case study is available.
- Solicit voluntary submissions of examples of sustainable shorelines
- Assess these ecologically enhanced shoreline restoration projects based on best management practices
- Disseminate information on these projects through this website and other means. Information will target specific user groups (i.e.,erosion protection for engineers, potential costs for municipal planners,innovative habitat restoration for landscape architects, etc);
- Create a network of accessible and diverse sites that illustrate various techniques in differing Hudson River Estuary environment between New York City and the Federal Dam at Troy;
- Continue to expand the network with new and innovative projects along the estuary that meet the best management practices of the HRSSP.
A map is available here of those projects currently being reviewed and profiled as example sites.
Demonstration Site Network Case Studies
Coxsackie Boat Launch – Coxsackie, NY
Harlem River Park – New York, NY
Hunts Point Landing – New York, NY
Habirshaw Park and Tidal Marsh- Yonkers, NY
Esopus Meadows Preserve- Esopus, NY
Foundry Dock Park- Cold Spring, NY
Athens Fourth Street Kayak and Canoe Launch- Athens, NY
This list will be updated periodically to include new case studies of sites along the Hudson River. If you have a site you would like to add, please fill out the assessment form and contact Christina Tobitsch (email@example.com) or Emilie Hauser (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Case Study Presentations from IECA
The following presentations were given at an IECA meeting on November 7, 2012. Each case study highlights the site’s planning, design, and implementation of an ecologically enhanced shoreline.
The presentations from Session III can be found below:
1. South Bronx Greenway – John Roebig
2.Coxsackie – Casey Holzworth
3. Esopus Meadows Preserve – Sven Hoeger